Thursday, July 11, 2013

Taste of the city

I am no mean real ale fan.... don't really like the taste of beer. But I was really pleased to read about the revival of the Shipstones brand in Nottingham in the Evening Post
Shipstone's, the tipple of choice for generations of Notts pub-goers, is being brewed again. The new beer is the work of Nottingham native Richard Neale and Colin Brown, a former brewer at the original Shipstone's.
In my reporting days I visited the brewery for an interview and, while I didnt relish the aroma of brewing hops etc, loved the feel of the place.... it was a beautiful building that rightly has preserved its place as a city landmark.

The Shippos label was a real home-brewed source of pride - a bit like the mining industry in this area or the heady industrial days of British Steel and ICI leading international trade from my smog-filled home turf in the north east.

It lay at the core of each of us.... and it felt personal when the brewery shut down - the old county council logo just doesnt look right up there.  So it's grand to see the Shippos brand back, albeit in a scaled down guise...

Welcome back old matey.... have one on me!
http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nottingham-ale-Shippo-s/story-19489841-detail/story.html

No comments: